3.23.2011

Blogrimage Day IIX & IX

This man is Oliver Larrabee. We spent 6 months traveling together and 6 months sharing a room before that. But how we became friends...like most of my experiences with Oliver, is a great story. It was a glorious September weekend, and me and Scott Duchaney were traveling down to Austin Texas for ACL! Each year when we go down to Austin, we try to live homeless, as it adds to the overall experience. For this year and the previous we made a habit of parking near the river and climbing the to the top of the Parks and Rec building. Once up there we would set up camp and sleep, no complaints, after all Austin's mascot is Leslie Cochran, a homeless man. Scott had a friend that lived in Austin and his friend had invited us over. This friend was Oliver. An hour after meeting Oliver he committed to traveling through Asia for six months with us, cut my hair, and let me cut his hair into a mullet. The rest of the weekend was a blur as a friendship mixed with amazing live shows began. Eventually Oliver moved in with Scott and I in Tulsa. And the rest is history. Today our conversation was over Skype, and we talked about the future, Oliver's "casting out the net" strategy, and Kid Kudi...I do not like Kid Kudi, Oliver feels differently. It was good to talk, but now I have much to think adn pray about.

Setting: Church lobby, LEI Dorm Room
Characters: Me, Olie, Olie's new record collection.
Memorable quote: "OH man, sorry I fell asleep as soon as Kudi came in." Kid's got no presence, not in a good way.
Coffee Quality: I drank it...but do not remember anything about its taste...


Andy Carter folks! Yes, he's the barefoot running man! I can't really remember a time I wasn't friends with Andy. I remember he was in Youth Group a year before me, because I was a year younger, and I was afraid that we were never gonna be friends again. I thought all the cool kids in Youth Group would become his friends and that he would forget about me. I honestly remember crying the first Sunday after Andy and Joe Schmidt left Kids church. It was like I had empty nest syndrome...weird. I met up with Andy on Tuesday after he finished his Starbucks shift, and we talked about a many things. Mostly life, and some church philosophy. I also shared some running tips and we talked about the possibility of running the Detroit Marathon together. I think he is the 6th person that wants to run it together, we are gonna make a sweet crew!

Setting
: Starbucks (Telegraph & J0y Rd.)
Characters: Me, Andy, French Press, Walnut Banana Bread, French Jazz tunes
Memorable quote: "Can we put this oil on your lips...it represents the Oil of Ezekiel"
Coffee Quality: I am sooo happy Starbucks has french presses available, and that they will press any coffee in the store! Yesterday I tried the "Tribute Blend." It was very nice. Although I don't get the big deal over aged Sumatra.

I realize these two are still peeps my age, but I am working on a plan, which hopefully will be presented tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loving it.
had to google kid cudi... never heard of him.