10.17.2010

Marathon Lessons & Playlist

Lessons from my first marathon:

- Putting Band-Aids on your nipples is a very good idea (one that i neglected to do)
- Putting Band-Aids on after the fact that end up taking a layer of skin off is not a very good idea
- No matter what the so-called experts say, there is no way I could drink a PBR during a marathon
- Toenails are not over-rated! I like mine, and am glad to have them all.
- There is nothing like hitting the wall with Kesha's "Your Love Is My Drug" playing...back to back...thanks mike...
- Doing marathon research after the race is a bit to late
- Going into shock is no joke! Your "cool down" should only be conceptual, not actual
- Never listen to people tell stories of people crapping themselves while marathoning, it will turn into your biggest fear, and make you waste a lot of time at bathroom stops. (I did poop when I woke up before the race,and therefore didn't poop till later that evening.)
- Don't drink both water and gatorade at every fluid station... It was fifty degrees, and I was not sweating that much; it did make me feel liking puking at mile 21!
- Its ok to take a dance break if the band is especially good, just keep forward motion
- Seeing friends and family 3x during the race does unbelievable good for the soul
- The tunnel between Detroit and Winsor is gross, hot, and muggy, but along the sides are some awesome fresh air
- The wind can be your best friend or worst enemy, on Belle Isle it was my Emperor Palpatine
- Never have I enjoyed a Sunday afternoon nap more than yesterday!
- It's ok if you never want to run again, and then 5 minutes later you are planning next year
- Never underestimate the right song at the right time, segueway...


I passed around my iPod and told friends to put songs on, I promised that I would not skip any songs. That turned into quite a painful commitment, but it's a marathon, painful commitment is the name of the game.

1. Talk Dirty to Me - Poison
2. Upside Down - Jack Johnson
3. The Down Fall Of Us All - A Day To Remember <- This is when we started moving
4. Sugalumps - Flight Of The Conchords
5. Let's Get This Party Right - Girl Talk
6. Sleepyhead - Passion Pit <- This is what played as I crossed the starting line
7. Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson
8. Cold Condition - Edison Glass
9. Death In His Grave - John Mark McMillian
10. Strobe (Club Edit) - Deadmau5
11. Luv Addict - Family Force 5
12. Dancin With Myself - Billy Idol
13. Thunderstruck - ACDC
14. Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
15. Killer Queen - Queen
16. Can I Have More Of You - Kim Walker <- What I was crossing the Ambassador Bridge to.
17. Run On - Elvis Presley <- My favorite song on the list!
18. Heaven Is Here - Jesus Culture
19. Seventeen Years - Ratatat
20. Here's The Thing - Girl Talk
21. All Consuming Fire - War Of Ages
22. The Humpty Dance - Digital Underground
23. Less Cute - Say Anything
24. I've Been Everywhere - Johnny Cash
25. If My Heart Was A House - Owl City
26. Breathing in a New Mentality - Underoath
27. Walls - Emery
28. I'm So Sick - Flyleaf
29. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
30. TNT - ACDC
31. All The Right Moves - OneRepublic
32. Rise Up - Disciple
33. Go Hard - Lecrae feat. Tedashii
34. Here (In Your Arms) - Hellogoodbye
35. Ready Now - Desperation Band
36. Your Love Never Fails - Jesus Culture
37. You & I - Future Of Forestry
38. Better In Bed Than Ever As Friends - 2*Sweet
39. The Boys of Summer (Green Court Remix) - DJ Sammy
40. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
41. You'll Come - Hillsong United
42. Smile Like You Mean It - Tally Hall
43. Seraphim - For Today
44. I Wanna Love You - The Maine
45. Roxanne - Fall Out Boy
46. Livin Your Life - T.I. feat. Rihanna
47. Your Love Is My Drug - Kesha
48. Your Love Is My Drug - Kesha * <- The song when I wanted to quit the most
49. Run For Your Life - The Beatles
50. Umbrella (Jay-Z Remix) - Rihanna
51. Reinventing Your Exit - Underoath
52. Run Runaway - Slade
53. You Deserve - Hillsong United
54. Replace Me - Family Force 5
55. Get Low - Lecrae <- The moment I decided I could finish (the wall is almost over)
56. Round & Round - Ratt
57. Out Of Control - John Reuben
58. In Regards to Myself - Underoath
59. Desire - Phil Wickham
60. Hip Hop Hooray - Naughty By Nature
61. Come Sail Away - Styx
62. Lick It Up- KISS
63. Got Paper - Lecrae <- when I finally conquered the wall
64. Your Love Is My Drug - Kesha *
65. Summer Dream (Original Mix) - Kuffdam & Plant
66. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen <- The song I realized...I am gonna finish!
67. Heaven Song - Phil Wickham
68. Reason To Believe - Dashboard Confessional
69. Aretha Franklin - Respect

* Michael Parton put "Your Love Is My Drug" on my iPod 15 times... I heard it 9 times, so the order of the songs is off (my ipod didn't record the times it played prior to #64). And I seriously wanted to murder Mike at mile 18 when that song played back to back.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Josh! You ran a marathon.....how inspiring! Tight work.